Czerwińsk is one of the oldest Marian Sanctuaries in Poland, it is one of the best known centres of the adoration of Mother of God in Mazovia. The beginnings of this cult take their roots from the earliest history of church and the history of Polish nation. History confirmed the glory and the dignity of Czerwińsk by numerous visits of Polish kings, Mazovian dukes, bishops, knights and other representatives of nobility. Although the place is small, quiet, country town it attracts numerous national and foreign tourists who leave the place absolutely enchanted. The most precious historical treasure of Czerwińsk nowadays is a 12th century roman church which is considered the Pearl of Mazovia as it is full of valuable works of art, national and historical tokens, the most precious of its treasures being the Miraculous Picture of the Holy Mary of Czerwińsk Queen of Mazovia.
The church in Czerwińsk is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Holy Virgin Mary, it was built from granite by Alexander of Malonne, the Bishop of Plock (1129-1156). He also located the Canons Regular of Lateran in the church, who brought to this place from the west. Due to the natural conditions in the area the monastery and the church formed a natural fortress where local inhabitants found shelter and saved their lives many times. Thanks to numerous and generous donations of Mazovian Dukes and Polish Kings, the abbey of Canons Regular soon became the most splendid one in Mazovia and it developed into a significant centre of religious, political, cultural and economic life. Starting in the 13th century the monks of Czerwińsk contributed a lot to the high level of moral standard in the society. They were one of the first who organized social aid in Czerwińsk. According to the documents of the nuncio Opizon of 1254 there already was a hospital and a social care centre at that time. In Czerwińsk numerous events such as tribunals, official political gatherings were held outdoors. The fortune was not favourable for Canons Regular, who spent over 700 years in Czerwińsk, after that period they underwent annulment, which was a wrongful and unfair decision (18th April, 1819). Following that period, for many years diocesan priests took care of parish. In 1923, soon after sudden death of priest E. Gruberski, the archbishop of Płock Julian Nowowiejski handed down the church, the parish and the monastery ruins to the Salesian Society. In February 1933 there was a fire which destroyed all monastery roofs, fortunately it did not even touch the adjacent church. The church was open and active all the time under German occupation. At the time there were only two priests but after the war the noviciate was re-established there.
Polish kings in Czerwińsk
After the famous victory of Grunwald, Polish king Władysław Jagiełło made a votive offering of his casque in Czerwińsk. It should be explained here that at that time there was a different picture of the Mother of God in the church. Kazimierz Jagiellończyk signed a peace treaty in Toruń and then he offered the church in Czerwińsk the herma of St Barbara previously taken away from the Teutonic Knights. Władysław the IV was seriously ill when he asked the Mother of God of Czerwińsk for health and was miraculously healed. The king who most frequently came to Jasna Góra of Czerwińsk was Jan Kazimierz. Zygmunt III Waza visited Czerwińsk on his way to Sweden, where he was travelling by ship on the Vistula in 1653. Jasna Góra of Czerwińsk was also visited by President Ignacy Mościcki on 27th of May 1930.